It was announced last month that Borders, the second largest bookstore chain in the country, filed for bankruptcy. HuffPo says that the struggling retailer’s “inability to garner significant online business and its near absence from the growing digital books market have made it difficult for Borders to compete with larger rival Barnes & Noble Inc and online retailer Amazon.com Inc.” As a result, over 200 Borders stores are closing.
Luckily for me, I live in New York City, the greatest city on earth. We’ve an impressive wealth of independent bookstores across the five boroughs—including my favorites Greenlight Books, Book Court and The Strand—so something like this doesn’t necessarily affect us.
Some of you may be fans of Borders, however, and perhaps your favorite location is closing. No worries. Below is a list of independent bookstores in close proximity to the NYC Borders locations that are being shuttered.
Borders Bookstore #566
100 Broadway, New York, NY 10005
- The Mysterious Bookshop, 58 Warren St., New York, NY 10007 (0.7 miles)
- McNally Jackson, 52 Prince St., New York, NY 10012 (1.5 miles)
Borders Bookstore #228
576 Second Avenue, New York, NY 10016
- Revolution Books, 146 West 26th St., New York, NY 10001 (0.7 miles)
- Idlewild Books, 12 West 19th St., New York, NY 10011 (0.8 miles)
- Books of Wonder, 18 West 18th St., New York, NY 10011 (0.9 miles)
- Strand Books, 828 Broadway, New York, NY 10003 (1.3 miles)
Borders Bookstore #200
461 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10022
- Center for Fiction Books, 17 East 47th St., New York, NY 10017 (0.7 miles)
- Rizzoli Books, 31 West 57th St., New York, NY 10019 (1.0 miles)
Don’t live in New York City? No problem, homie. There’s a comprehensive list for all closing Borders locations across the country over at Reluctant Habits.