Yesterday, I was nominated for The Versatile Blogger Award. The nomination came from a fellow author, the lovely Eveli Acosta, who named me amongst 15 other super-talented, super-cool bloggers. Be sure to check out Eveli’s site, where you can check out her work and find links to order her books.
As a Versatile Blogger Award nominee, there are a few rules I must abide by, rules that I shall now share with you, Dear Readers. They are:
- Create a post for the Versatile Blogger Award. (Hey, whaddaya think you’re reading now?)
- In the same post, thank the blogger who gave you the award and put a link back to their blog. (Please see above!)
- Nominate 15 other people for this award and let them know. (I shall do this posthaste!)
- Post seven random things about yourself. (I am not looking forward to this.)
- Include these rules in your post. (And here we are.)
I guess I’ll post seven random things about myself first, then I’ll follow up with my nominations for The Versatile Blogger Award. Ready? Okay!
1. I was a cheerleader in high school. Well, in actuality, I was the school mascot, but that classified me as being a cheerleader. Say what you want, but it was a great deal of fun. Plus I went to cheerleading camp, which was populated with nothing but girls. Oh, high school!
2. I’m not scared of much, but I am terrified of birds. Like, shit my pants terrified. Birds punk me on a daily basis. Living in New York City makes it impossible to avoid them, so I try my best to not get in a bird’s way or to aggravate them lest I be attacked by one of Satan’s onerous winged spawn.
3. Like every black man in America, I dabbled in rap music at one point in my life. And no, I’m not talking on the journalism tip. I mean as an artist and producer. While the first rap project I ever actually produced was my man W-I-Z’s debut mixtape, I wrote, rhymed on, and produced an entire album entitled Never Lost My Touch. The pic of me and Miami rapstress Jacki-O seen above? That comes from a Soundclick page my dumb ass created. Lmao.
4. Though I’ve done some work for indie producers (whose films still haven’t gone into production), I almost sold a screenplay to a real-for-real Hollywood studio. This was right after school. I won’t go into all the details here (I’m saving that for a future post) but there was interest in a script I’d written during my senior year. I spent a good six months with a manager trying to secure a deal. Then, shit went south. My script was dead in the water. And I didn’t write anything for years.
5. I can cook. Folks want to front, they want to act like I can’t throw down in the kitchen, but I can motherfucking cook, yo. I eat out a lot because it’s convenient, but I’m trying to save money these days and so I’d rather spend $50 at the grocery store and eat for a week than spend $50 on lunch (which I’ve done before, ay yi yi).
6. When I was a kid, I crushed hard on Julia Duffy from Newhart. I am not ashamed to admit that.
7. I am a photo fiend. I love taking photographs. And I mean of EVERYTHING. Of people, of places, of things. Photos of food, photos of street signs, photos of animals (except birds). I used to carry a digital camera with me everywhere, even when digital cameras were the size of cinder blocks. But now thanks to the wonderful invention that is the iPhone 4S, I can leave the digicam at home and snap away on my phone. The photo quality is excellent, and I have one less thing to lug around the city.
Okay. That’s over and done with, thank White Baby Jesus. And now on to my list of bloggers upon whom I’d like to bestow a Versatile Blogger Award nomination.
- Marisa Kakoulas (Needles and Sins)
- Feminista Jones (Knob Slobbing Feminism)
- Ron Worthy (soulhead)
- Maria Guido (Guerrilla Mom)
- Dana Beckley (of two + seven)
- Emily Cavalier (Mouth of the Border)
- Fabulously Fourty(ish) (The Real Life Adventures of Being 40ish)
- Miss Info
- Mac Smith (It Can’t All Be Dior)
- Danyel Smith (The Smithian)
- Patrice Callender (Hell and Heartaches)
- Emlyn Chand
- Huny Young (Most Beautifullest)
- DJ Heat (DC Mumbo Sauce)
- Joel Friedman (The Book Designer)
I love all the above writers, bloggers, curators, and critics. Their sites are worth bookmarking and visiting daily. Trust me on that.
Alright, well, I’ve fulfilled my obligation as a Versatile Blogger Award nominee. Have you learned anything new about me? Anything you’d like to share? Hit me up in the comments section below!